You sit down to play a game of Magic and your start shuffling. But, wait – One of your sleeves has split again. But you just bought them not so long ago. To prevent situations like this you want to have the best MTG card sleeves possible.
Today we’ll take a look at the best five MTG sleeves on the market. The main two thing we’ll focus on are durability and ease of shuffling.
We present the five best sleeves on the market right now. First one is the best budget option, followed by an old-time favorite. We then finish with the best three sleeves – which make Magic players argue which one is truly the best.
The reason for the TitanShield’s being in our top 5 sleeves is their ratio of durability versus cost. You’ll get a very fair price for the 150-sleeves value pack. Sleeves are one of the most robust on the market. They almost never split, however, they are also not the best for shuffling.
If you don’t care about looks and shuffling feel, but just want a sleeve that will last you for basically forever for low price, they are still a reasonable choice.
- very durable
- fairly cheap
- only in black color
- slightly wider then other sleeves, which allows dust to get in
- not very nice for shuffling
KMC Hyper MAT sleeves used to be one of the best sleeves on the market. Lately there have been some reports of decline of the quality and therefore they fell to the fourth place.
They are nice on feel and are perfectly sized for single sleeved cards. You can also fit a double sleeved card in it with some effort.
- foils look really nice in them
- great for single sleeved cards
- cards almost never stick together
- some of the new batches seem worse
- after lots of shuffling the edges start to split slightly
- slightly different sizes from pack to pack
Besides great deck boxes, Ultimate Guard also makes nice sleeves. The Katana sleeves are somewhat newer, than most sleeves on this list. They already have quite big following of people, who even claim that Katanas are the best sleeves on the market.
To be fair all of our top three picks for the best MTG card sleeves are pretty optimal. Which ones are truly the best is hard to say, but you won’t be disappointed with any of them.
- amazing feel
- great for shuffling
- plenty of colors to choose from
- corners bend after some use
- cards sometimes stick together
- not the best for double sleeved cards
Ultra Pro sleeves used to be a complete joke. They would split even just a single draft match. They still make those sleeves, and they are cheap if nothing else.
However their newer premium Eclipse Pro-Matte sleeves are a major step in the right direction. They are very durable, compared to most other sleeves. Their best feature is the ease of shuffling.
If you really enjoy shuffling cards, this sleeves are the right ones for you.
- best shuffling feel
- constant size
- great with double sleeves
- plenty of colors to choose from
- they become dirty more quickly then some other sleeves
- the color shades may vary slightly from pack to pack
- foil cards don’t look very special in them
Finally, our number one pick, the best MTG card sleeve on the market – Dragon Shiled Matte. They will last you years. Honestly, we still have some Dragon Shields, that we bought more than five years ago, that work just fine. Although they do get dirtier after so much use, you can still clean them fairly easily.
Besides that, Dragon Shield succeeded where other failed. They manage to put art, that doesn’t peel off, on their sleeves. You can check different variations on Amazon.
- the most durable sleeves on the market
- they come in different colors
- you can get sleeves with art on them
- okay for shuffling
- cards don’t stick together when shuffling
- great customer support, contact them if your sleeves arrived damaged and they’ll replace them
- if you’re playing with double-sided cards like Delver of Secrets, you need the Black version, since others have slightly transparent backs
- a tiny bit bigger than other sleeves, which might be worse if your cards aren’t double sleeved
Finally, if you want to know more about those sleeves, you can find Dragon Shield Sleeves Review here.
Hopefully we helped you pick the right sleeves for you. Are you already using some? Tell us which ones in the comments bellow.
That’s all for today, until next time, may your sleeves never split.